While any cheap digital watch with stopwatch timer are fine for the recreational fun runner or occasional jogger, runners who train seriously have their our own unique set of needs. Put another way, a cheap watch won’t cut it if you intend to:
- Race regularly, be it a track race, fun run or road race on tarmac or a muddy cross country event
- Do frequent Interval Training – sets of hard/easy cycles
- Keep a Training Diary and regularly update it – or at least try to 🙂
To satisfy these needs, there are three essentials features every runner intending to do serious training should look for when buying a sports watch. They are:
- A Stopwatch Chronograph with large, clear digits that are readable at arm’s length
- Lap Memory Storage – to record training data to enter in training diary
- Countdown Timer feature, preferably with varying length time intervals for timed intervals
Watch manufacturers do not always clearly publicize the amount of storage in Lap Watches, making it time-consuming to find out. We’ve taken the time to sort sports watches by their Lap Memory Capacities.
While we have tried to be all inclusive, this list is not. It will be a living, growing entity that we’ll add to over time. If you know of a great sports watch that you think should be on our list. We would love to know of any possible future inclusions. You may contact us here.
Meanwhile you may follow the link to view our collection of Sports Lap Watches, that can store session laps in memory for post-session retrieval and analysis.