Are you overweight and don’t know what to do about it?
If you are like many, you may have wondered what you can do about it?
Maybe at certain times you have asked one of the following: Should I just diet? Should I give the exercise thing a go? Is just dieting or exercising by themselves good enough or do I need to do both?
According to a study published in the Journal of Applied Physiology as referred to in this interesting article, when overweight older people start exercising, they are able to improve their exercise efficiency.
Exercise efficiency in this case refers to using fewer calories to perform a physical activity. The conclusion: Exercisers burn more fat and lose less muscle than older people who simply diet for weight loss.
The four month study was conducted as follows:
64 sedentary, overweight or obese participants, between the ages of 60 and 75 were divided into three groups:
- The first group was put on a diet only that reduced their caloric intake enough to achieve a 10% weight loss by the end of the study
- The second group was set an exercise regime where they could choose to walk, bike or row 3-5 times a week (most chose to walk)
- The third group were both placed on a diet and set an exercise routine combining the other methods
- The exercise-only group increased efficiency compared to the diet-only group
- The diet and exercise group also increased efficiency compared to the diet-only group
- All three groups lost weight
- the diet-only and diet-and-exercise group lost more weight than the exercise-only group
- The diet-only group lost more lean muscle and fat
- The exercise-only and diet-and-exercise groups drew more on fat stores as an energy source
So diet alone won’t get you maximum health. Exercise alone is better than diet alone, but dieting loses more weight than just exercising.
My advice? If you are overweight and want to do something about it.
Don’t mess around, do both!
Get that body of yours to the gym or out for a walk and put those potato chips and cakes in the rubbish bin.
Do what I say and you will thank me..
At least your body will 😉